The Sant'Anna Institute
VCU's semester program with the Sant'Anna Institute
offers an exceptional opportunity to take classes or pursue internships in a range of academic disciplines, all in English or Italian, while living in historic Sorrento, Italy. Sant’Anna’s academic building overlooks the picturesque Bay of Naples on Italy’s Amalfi Coast, allowing students to experience the unique culture and customs of southern Italy in a walkable, cosmopolitan setting.
You can get a sense for what life in Sorrento is like by checking out Sant'Anna's YouTube channel
Interested students are strongly encouraged to meet with Annia Dowell-Wiltshire
prior to applying to this program. You can make an appointment with Annia here
Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 2.0. Interested students should complete the online VCU registration by clicking the "Register Now" link above, and submit an online application and all supporting materials directly to Sant'Anna
Tuition and Fees:
Semester program fees include full-time tuition, housing, programmatic support, and excursions to destinations like Capri, Pompeii, Naples, and the Amalfi Coast.
For the fall 2018 semester, Sant'Anna has offered VCU students a special rate in recognition of their new partnership. Fall 2018 students will pay a rate of $10,950, which is comparable to on-campus costs in Richmond.
The spring 2019 program fee will be posted as soon as it is finalized. In the meantime, students interested in studying at Sant'Anna in spring 2019 should contact Annia
for more information.
Students are able to take coursework in a variety of disciplines alongside other Sant'Anna students. Students will enroll in 4-5 3-credit courses per semester, for a total of 12-15 credits. Review course options in Sant'Anna's catalog
. Most Sant'Anna coursework has been pre-approved to transfer to VCU
; if you are interested in taking a course not listed in the database, please contact Annia for assistance.
Sant’Anna’s offers an internship program
with flexible placements in a variety of academic disciplines and industries. Students from all fields are encouraged to apply, especially those in Biology and Environmental Studies
, and Arts
. (Note that participation in the internship program carries an additional $400 fee.)
Transfer of Credit:
Students must earn the equivalent of the grade of C or higher in a given course to be eligible for transfer credit. Students are required to take the necessary steps to ensure that transcripts are received from the university upon return to VCU.
Review important dates at Sant'Anna on their website
Sant'Anna students have multiple options for housing:Students looking for an immersive, supportive experience in Italian language and culture are encouraged to choose a homestay.
Dining and Other Services:
- Students who want the ultimate level of convenience can request to be housed in Sant’Anna’s recently-renovated dorms, just a flight or two of stairs away from their classrooms. Students will have a fully-equipped kitchen, and shared bathroom, bedroom, and common areas. The dorm is equipped with WiFi and washing machines.
- Students looking for a more independent experience can request to be housed in shared off-campus apartments, located throughout Sorrento. All apartments are within a 15-20 minute walk of campus.
Students will be responsible for most meals throughout the program. You will be able to purchase groceries at several stores within walking distance of the dorm; Sorrento also has many cafes and restaurants close to Sant’Anna, at a range of price points.
In Your Free Time:
Sorrento is a safe, walkable, and picturesque center of international tourism. It has an international population, making it a small town, with a cosmopolitan feel. Sorrento also boasts:
- Friendly, gracious people
- Southern hospitality
- Italian style
- Bustling shopping streets and traditional Roman-style alleys
- A mild, sun-drenched Mediterranean climate
- Culinary traditions based on the seafood, and locally grown, fresh produce
- Streets lined with lemon and orange trees
- Hillsides covered with olive groves and vineyards
- Some of the best pizza and gelato you will find anywhere!
Sorrento is a treasure all its own, and is a passageway to the:
- Stunning islands of Capri and Ischia
- Baroque splendor of Naples
- Majestic Greek temples at Paestum
- Historic Roman ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum
- World-famous collection at the National Archaeological Museum in Naples
- Cliffside villages of the Amalfi Coast, like Positano, Amalfi and Ravello
- World’s best known volcano, Mount Vesuvius
It’s the perfect city to discover a home away from home, with a hometown feel and many opportunities to connect with Italian culture. You can learn more about life in Sorrento on Sant'Anna's website
Excursions and field trips
are also an important part of the Sant'Anna experience, giving students many opportunities to explore the vibrant culture and history of Southern Italy.