Skip to content

Academic Guide

To maintain your status at VCU student while you are studying abroad, you must register with the Education Abroad office.  
Read more about Academic Credit.  

Application process
Applications for ISEP or a VCU-based exchange program will be processed through the Education Abroad office. Once accepted and placed in the appropriate host institution, you will be enrolled in a placeholder course on your VCU schedule. It will not bear credit and you are not charged tuition for this course. 

Alternative programs
If you are participating in a program that is not sponsored by VCU, you must confirm with our staff that the program will issue a transcript from an accredited institution of higher education. You must apply to the program according to its own application requirements and procedures and you must register the program with our office by completing the Education Abroad online application for alternative programs.

Once we receive your completed program registration materials, we will draft an agreement between VCU and your host institution/program provider in order to reiterate your status as a VCU student and request a total expense budget for financial aid purposes. Your registration is not considered complete until this process is finalized, which can take up to 45 days. 

Pre-approval for academic credit
With the exception of VCU faculty-led programs, you must receive pre-approval for the credit you intend to take while abroad. Once you have chosen a study abroad program, select courses that you plan to take abroad.  Consult the Database for Pre-Approved Courses to see if the courses you intend to take abroad have been pre-approved.  If the courses you choose to take abroad do not appear in the Database for Pre-Approved Courses, you must provide course descriptions and/or syllabi to your academic advisor so that he or she can determine the appropriate VCU course equivalencies. Students seeking credit for foreign language courses that do not appear in the Database for Pre-Approved Courses must have them approved by the School of World Studies.
Info This site uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Read cookie policy Accept?