Skip to content

Credit Transfer Process

There are two types of study abroad choices at VCU:
  • Programs in which students earn VCU credit for work done abroad (VCU faculty-led programs and the VCU-Qatar exchange).
  • Programs in which students earn credit that must be transferred back to VCU (ISEP, partnerships, departmental exchanges, affiliate programs and alternative programs). Transcripts come from either a foreign institution of higher education or another domestic US institution (Note: The program must be approved by the Education Abroad office in order for the student to be eligible to receive transfer credit).
How do we transfer credit?
  • Students must turn in an exchange application or registration packet to the Education Abroad office. 
  • Once the exchange application or registration packet is received, VCU Education Abroad will register the student for a 12 credit STUA placeholder course (6 credit STUA course in the summer). The STUA course does not generate VCU tuition but serves as a placeholder that allows study abroad students to maintain their VCU student status and gives them access to their financial aid, institutional scholarships, e-services, the VCU library, and their VCU email.
  • Students must meet with their VCU academic advisor to discuss course equivalencies and complete the course approval form before they study abroad.
  • Students are responsible for listing their proposed courses on the course approval form.
  • The academic advisor allocates a VCU course equivalent (but cannot award credit) for each course a student plans to take abroad and then signs the course approval form.
  • If classes have not been approved by the academic advisor in advance, the student is emailed and prompted to do so before the transcript is able to be processed.
  • Upon receipt of the course approval form and transcript from the host institution, the credits are then processed by the Education Abroad office and transferred to VCU.
  • Once the credits are transferred, the courses can be viewed at the top of the student’s e-services transcript page. (Please note that the STUA placeholder course will remain on the student’s VCU transcript)
  • The student’s file remains open for an academic year; the file may be re-opened if necessary.

Course Equivalency Database

Please remember:
  • Credit is awarded by the international credential evaluator in the Global Education Office, Mr. Wayan “Mas” Mastriyana.
  • The academic advisor assigns corresponding VCU equivalencies. (Ex. Foreign university course: IBUS 2101 International Business Strategy = VCU’s MKTG 378.)
  • The Banner System cannot transfer ELEC XXX. You must assign a department code and level to each course (Ex. ENGR 2XX)
  • If there is no exact VCU equivalent for a course taken abroad, please list the dept code (POLI) and “1xx,” “2xx,” “3xx,” etc… depending on the level you feel is appropriate based on the course description.
  • It is the student’s responsibility to request that the study abroad transcript be sent directly from the host institution to the Education Abroad office.
  • We cannot transfer credit that doesn’t appear on the study abroad transcript.
  • In order to transfer credits from study abroad, our office needs an official transcript and a signed course approval form that reflects the classes appearing on the student’s transcript from the foreign university.
  • Study Abroad transcripts must be mailed to: VCU Education Abroad, P.O. Box 843043, Richmond VA 23284-3043.